Singers must arrive knowing at least four arias, of which one must be in German, and one must be from an operetta or a musical. These arias will form the basic repertory of the concerts. Additional music will be assigned
Participants receive instruction in:
- Voice – opportunities to be coached by several experts and to hear many ways of approaching a piece of music.
- Acting – individualized training will enhance your acting strengths, and will educate you on how to avoid the pitfalls of bad acting on the operatic stage.
- German language – Daily lessons in German and English (for the Austrians) supplement the skills learned in rehearsal and around town as you negotiate the supermarket, the café and the bank.
- Opera and Operetta – You will experience a range of musical styles from serious opera to operetta and Broadway.
- Movement / Dance – Daily classes in movement and dance help you realize how to use the whole body to express yourself.
TYPICAL DAY (Six days a week):
09:00 – 10:30 DANCE
10:30 – 12:30 GENERAL CLASS – Group rehearsals, acting, recitative class, etc
12:30 – 13:00 Lunch
13:30 – 14:30 GERMAN & ENGLISH LESSONS
14:30 – 18:00 Staging/coaching – Individual staging rehearsals, voice coaching, language coaching, etc. Those singers not actually rehearsing will be free to observe other rehearsals, or practice on their own.
Time is also available for a “Kaffee und Kuchen” break where you can sample the famous pastries of the region.
18:00 – 20:00 Dinner – Occasional guest speakers will talk during this time on such topics as: a singer’s life, agents, publicity and living in Europe.
20:00 – 22:00 Rehearsals, master classes, performances
Week One and Two
The first week is spent assessing the current skills of the participants, plus working on acting, voice, language, repertoire, culminating in concerts of arias, duets and show tunes around the region. Participants will have the chance to attend a professional opera performance at either the Salzburg Festival, The Tiroler Festspiele Erl or the Kufstein Operetten Sommer.
Sessions will continue with training in acting, voice and language. In addition to ongoing rehearsal and coaching, each student will get a session on career advice and suggestions on how to apply the tools learned during the program. The grand finale will be a staged Gala Concert.